A hearty salad for the colder months, made up of raw and cooked veggies. Here is a guideline, but this recipe calls for experimentation. Add your favorite veggies! We think winter squash or sweet potatoes would fit right in. It’s also common to throw in some thinly sliced pickles or sauerkraut.
- 1 bunch fresh herbs (whichever you like best: basil, dill, cilantro, parsley, or mint for example)
- olive (or vegetable) oil
- apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Wash potatoes thoroughly but don’t peel. Place them in a pot of water and boil for about 20-25 minutes until soft (but not overcooked). Run them under cold water to stop the cooking and set aside.
- Boil the beets (don’t wash or peel) as well, for 45-50 minutes or until soft enough to poke with a fork; place them in a bowl of cold water and peel (skin will slide off easily).
- Cut the potatoes, beets, carrots, and cabbage into small cubes, mince the onions and herbs and combine everything in a big bowl.
- In a separate container, mix the oil, vinegar, salt and pepper – taste, adjust seasonings, pour over the salad, and mix. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.